Friday, February 8, 2008

Tausif Hanif,Editor of Yahoo News (a weekly pakistani newspaper) targeted attacked

Open letter to The President of Pakistan Pervez Musharaf

Governor Sindh, Dr,Ishrat-ul-Ebad

City Nazim,Syed Mustafa Kamal

Civil Society of Pakistan
&
To all concerned


SUB: Editor of Yahoo News,Tausif Hanif threatened . harassed and attacked by the Chief Controller of Karachi Building Control Authority Rauf Akther Farooqui & his accomplices after publishing of news about the corruption of KBCA officials in Yahoo News.

I have been publishing a weekly English Newspaper namely, “Yahoo News” from Karachi since 15th July .2007. Various factual reports have been published about the miss deeds and corruption of KBCA officials specially the many wrong doings of Chief Controller of KBCA Rauf Akhtar Farooqui and his official and non officials accomplices in “Yahoo News” Newspaper.

CCOB farooqui asked me repeatedly not to publish any adverse news about him or any official of KBCA, he issued many threats to me and my paper.He repeatedly issued different types of threats to me . CCOB Farooqui issued these threats since the publication of first story against him in Yahoo News since 15th July 2007. Then his accomplices on gun point threatened to kill me and other journalists.

I rejected his threats and kept publishing the wrong doings of him and his accomplices in Yahoo News.

Then in December 2007, CCOB Farooqui filed a defamation suit (Civil Suit –1594) in Sindh High Court by using Public money and resources. That case was file by the Official lawyer of KBCA and huge amounts have been issued illegally for the filing of case from the accounts of KBCA. He filed that case to harass and stop me of publishing factual stories against him.

I sent many applications to the high ups of Karachi police and New Town Police Station asking for the provision of protection and registering of FIR against CCOB Farooqui and his accomplices but till date no FIR has been registered against them.

On my written complaint ,CCOB Rauf Akthar Farooqui was asked to give his statement by the SHO of News Town Police station Mumtaz Ali Shah on the direction of high ups of Karachi police. CCOB Farooqui was infuriated when he came to know that I had sent applications against him to various high up of Karachi Police and other concerned officials, so to take revenge and further harass me he issued directions to the KBCA lawyers to initiate false criminal proceedings against me in the district courts of Karachi.

Few days ago on the directive of CCOB Farooqui, various criminal proceedings have been initiated against me in the session courts of Karachi, just to harass me. Now CCOB Rauf Akhtar Farooqui has been trying to lodge multiple FIRs against me. It may be noted that I had stated (in my all applications sent to high up of government and even to the Chief Justice of Sindh High Court few months ago ) that CCOB Farooqui would try to file criminal cases against me to take revenge from me for publishing news against his corruption as he repeatedly threatened me that he would file false cases against me.

CCOB Farooqui issued threats to me many times directly and through various phone calls. Many of his armed official and non official accomplices also threatened and attempted to attack me in the vicinity of Civic Centre and other areas of Karachi.


On 5th December CCOB Farooqui sent many armed employees of KBCA to attack me in the vicinity of Civic Centre , Hassan Square but they could not find me as some one alerted me in time about this action, But the armed 30 employees who were mostly the Building inspectors of KBCA attacked and manhandled many journalists who were present in the vicinity of civic centre at this time, these elements beaten up many Journalists and asked them not to come in civic centre again. These armed attackers threatened that they would kill the journalists if any journalists dare to come again in the vicinity of KBCA.
Various threats have also been issued to me by various officials of KBCA on the directives of CCOB KBCA ,Rauf Akhtar Farooqui.

It may be noted that various FIRs have been lodged during previous years against the KBCA Officials,who targeted , attacked and kidnapped Journalists in different areas of Karachi.These FIRs and police entries have been lodged by targeted Journalists.(for details see the attached original copie of Yahoo News)

Due to repeated life threats and other type of pressure tactics, I have not been able to go to my office and perform my professional Journalistic duties for many months ,resulting serious loss to my Newspaper and income of Newspaper.I am practically not allowed to come easily into the head office of City Government and other related offices as when ever I try to reach there , armed men intervened and started to harass me.

I want to make it clear that if any type of harm is done to me or any member of Yahoo News ,then the CCOB Rauf Akhtar Farooqui and his accomplices would be fully jointly responsible for that. And proper FIRs should be lodged against them. I have provided the list of his accomplices to law enforcement agencies.

I have been in the field of practical journalism for more than 15 years, I have been working in Daily Financial Post , Daily leader. The Nation London, weekly Takbeer and Daily Ummat and other leading Newspapers of Pakistan during previous 15 years.

You are requested to intervene into the matter on urgent basis and issue appropriate directives.

Thanks
Yours truly,
Tausif Hanif,
Editor, Yahoo News
Cell phone no: 0333- 2278904
tausifhanif@gmail.com
Official address:
B-224 Makkee Appartment.
Garden Road Karachi.

No comments: